My current and past projects as a freelancer
DevOps expert, Cognotekt GmbH
11/2015 – present
Engineering of a full continuous integration / development / deployment pipeline for the upcoming customer service on AWS infrastructure. The automation is done using Cloudformation & Puppet. In-cloud monitoring is done using Prometheus (service metrics of as well as host metrics). The sytem is planned to be fully dynamic based on Consul and the Rancher-internal service registries. (“Cattle, not pets“)
I am also updating the local internal infrastructure to a Puppet / Foreman based setup.
For user acceptance / integration / smoke tests I developed a Python-based tool which utilizes docker-compose called intmaniac. It is meant as a stop-gap solution for something more solid, but seems to work fine so far. Still in early beta.
I am also an active participant for developing a python REST web app component for the company’s service stack. It’s mainly based on pure python, using grequests for communication to its own backends.
Infrastructure expert, Amadeus Data Processing GmbH, Erding
03/2015 – 09/2015
Support by implementing puppet automatization for the new VMWare / OpenStack / OpenShift infrastructure. I was above the OpenStack level, responsible for managing the setup and configuration of the hosts running OpenShift and the non-containerized services.
Size: a goal of 1000+ Servers once done
Tools: docker, puppet, bash, python
Headhunter agency: HAYS
System administrator, Deutsche Vermögensberatung AG, Frankfurt
06/2013 – 11/2014
Full reengineering of the internal puppet-based configuration management structure, including planning of integration of new components. First test runs of dockerized components.
Size: about 200 servers, physical and virtual, in at least 3 environments
Tools: puppet, theForeman, python, docker
Subproject lead for improving Dev & Ops collaboration
Identify configuration information managed by developers and analyze possible improvements for operations using a shared configuration item management process.
Headhunter agency: Thomas Mund consulting
System Administrator, Bundesagentur für Arbeit, Nuremberg
06/2012 – 05/2013
- Create a configuration and deployment strategy based on puppet for the department’s products.
Size: 30+ servers (physical & virtual)
Items: MySQL, PHP, Postfix, Tomcat, Apache
- Debugging of internally used components (usually PHP, Perl & bash-based), as well as script development in said languages
- Maintenance of the eLearning system (ILIAS)
- System component monitoring based on munin
Headhunter agency: Barcatta
Python trainer for nuclear safety systems
- Develop and execute …
- … trainings for in-house and external customers in the new python-based software development library for the nuclear safety systems management platform
- Administration of the 20 seat training environment
- Implement proof-of-concept virtualization of training environment based on Citrix Xenserver
Tools: Python, XenServer, PowerPoint, Bash
- Development of an “SDK” for customers to access our backend service
- Expert for Gematik connector infrastructure systems
- Requirements engineering and API design for Gematik connector API
- Implementation of the SDK test framework for continuous integration
- Development of inhouse SOAP / HTTP testing tools
Tools: Spring, Axis, SOAP, Python, OSGi, Maven, Eclipse, UML
Self-employed IT infrastructure service provider
- Design and roll out of small to middle sized company networks
- Network administration
- VPN implementation
- Service monitoring
Tools: a lot
Internship software developer, Romteck Pty Ltd, Perth, WA, Australia
- Porting of the company’s MS-DOS based C++ project to C/Linux
- Re-written graphics stack on libSDL of the same product
- Creation of a development and roll-out environment for the embedded Linux stack based on Debian for the same product
- Implementation of a Dallas one-touch reader drivers for a different product
Tools: Debian, C/C++, libSDL, GNU C